Wednesday 28 March 2012

Cravings


I'm a cravings person. I'll wake up one morning and be craving something. That craving won't go away until I get what I want...even if it takes months! I was recently craving seafood for about 5 weeks until we were eventually invited to a birthday party at a seafood restuarant...bliss! Now it probably sounds weird that I would wait for 5 weeks before satisfying my craving...especially when I know what it is and I know it wont go away, but sometimes things just don't quite work out and I have to wait a bit.

After my month long seafood craving I immediately moved onto the next thing... Lemon Curd.



I always associate Lemon Curd with my Granny Lorna. She passed away from cancer when I was 16 and I will always associate this with her, the same way my Chocolate Chiffon cake belongs to my Ouma in my mind. Most of my recipes are recipes that have been passed down from family and friends so they all have names attached to them. My Chocolate Brownies are Aunty Beaty's Brownies, vanilla sponge is Aunty Judy's Sponge Cake, Irene's Chocolate Truffles...you get the idea. If you ever give me a recipe it will forever be (insert your name here)'s (dish).

I'm pretty sure I've never had any other Lemon Curd than my Granny's recipe, I've never bought it and so when I got the craving I knew I had to make it. I hadn't made it before but it's pretty easy (easy peasy lemon squeezy! Lame. I know) and soooo delicious. So I thought I would share my first recipe with you all today - Granny Lorna's Lemon Curd.

Before you run out to your lemon tree and pick all the lemons so that you can make some for yourself there is one thing to take note of...Lemon Curd actually uses very few lemons but rather lots of eggs and butter.

Here's the recipe, just click to see it bigger, or save it and print it out.


You need to use a double boiler for this recipe so that the heat isn't too intense and doesn't consequently cook the egg and make your Lemon Curd taste very much like scrambled eggs. I don't have a double boiler, so I just used a bowl on top of a pot with water in. Just make sure that the boiling water isn't touching the bottom of the bowl - for the same intense heat/scrambled egg reason.




I added all the lemon pulp into the mixture as well as the juice - I just prefer it to make it that little bit more sour. If you prefer it sweeter then just leave the pulp out.



Lemon Curd on fresh toast - craving satisfied!



Homemade anything makes a great gift so if you know anyone who loves Lemon Curd then tie a pretty ribbon onto one of the jars and you have the perfect gift. Plus, the colour is just so beautiful.

This recipe makes four 290ml jars of Lemon Curd. Plus a little extra for that first piece of toast - just to check that it's all good!







As a short footnote - to all the photography freaks out there - Lightroom 4. It's AMAZING! As explained in detail here by one of my good friends. All these pics where edited in Lightroom 4.








6 comments:

  1. SWOON! I wish it were possible to have a love affair with lemon curd. In fact, I think that I will change my Living Will that upon my death, it is my desire to be embalmed with lemon curd thank you very much. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I've been having Lemon Curd for breakfast, lunch and supper since I made this! Soooo yum!

      Delete
  2. YUM! never used to like it before, but now I do! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I can comment again! I dunno what you did, but it worked! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :) My computer genius skills must have done something behind my back ;)

      Delete
  4. & I love the ribbons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...