Tuesday 28 February 2012

Make your own lace cupcake cases





I recently made cupcakes for a friend for her birthday and I wanted to make them special. I had been wanting to try lace cases for ages so I decided this was the perfect time. They turned out really great and I loved the fact that they make the cupcakes super easy to transport because the icing can't smoosh up against each other in the box.

They are also really simple to make. All you need is a packet of doilies, about 15cm diameter ones. I chose ones that had 'petals' because I thought they would lend themselves to folding but I'm sure any type could work.

I initially tried to just press each doiley into the muffin pan but they weren't holding the shape so then I thought about moulding them around a glass first.

Just find a tall round glass that can stand in you muffin pan, turn it around, place the doiley in the middle and firmly squeeze down on all the sides. I tried to make the fold on the edge as sharp as possible as they kept their shape better with a stronger fold.


When you put the empty cups into the pan they might pop out a bit, but as soon as you put your cupcake mix in the weight will hold them down.

A big tip here: DON'T GET ANY BATTER ON THE EDGES. It will burn black and make your lace look ugly. Also I made these after this occasion again, but with red velvet and the batter did run out of some of the holes a bit - because my red velvet batter is very runny. So if you are making a runny batter I would recommend doiley's with less holes, or a bigger solid centre.

This is another one of those situations where I forgot/ran out of time or light to take pictures so I can't show you the finished cupcakes but they looked pretty good. Try them and see for yourself.




9 comments:

  1. Couldn't you bake them in regular white liners and then place them into the lace afterwards. Maybe even tie with ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could do them that way, you would get nice clean, white lace in the end then. I would definitely tie them with ribbon then to help the lace keep it's shape. I'll try my next batch that way! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea!!! I love it!

    greetz from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. So creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Hope you get to use the idea sometime, they really come out pretty

      Delete
  4. This is great!!! I just use it for a bachelorette party and hope the girls will like it!!
    Greetz from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. No pictures of them baked? Not believing this post, sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...