Monday 5 May 2014

Travel Tuesday


It has suddenly dawned on me that I can do another Travel Tuesday post series. I know...a whole year after we actually did the travelling. Last year (like exactly last year this time) we were in Vietnam, on our honeymoon. We travelled up from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Long Bay over the space of two weeks. It was a vastly different travel experience to my previous travel series, that of my sister and my Contiki Europe trip. On Contiki, every single day is planned for you so you kind of just go along with it and do what they have planned. Which is great and exactly what I wanted for my first time visit to Europe. See I knew that Europe would be overwhelming to me because there are just a million things and places that I could potentially want to see, so I decided the best way for me to experience as much as possible in as short a space of time as possible would be to get someone else to plan EVERYTHING.

I'm a planner. I like planning and I like knowing whats going on, ALL THE TIME. Now traditionally the man organises the honeymoon, and Colin is not a big planner, he prefers the "Let's see what happens approach" so a few months before the wedding I decided it was about time to start hinting about the honeymoon. With hints like, "You know that I don't have a European passport like you, so if you want to go overseas I need more time incase I need to get a Visa". I have realised that subtle hinting is completely lost on him.

After a few days of research he came to me one evening and said, "I need you to help me decide where we should go, these are the options I've thought of..."

Vietnam
Zanzibar

I won't lie...Top Gear played a huge part in our honeymoon destination choice. If you have seen the Top Gear Vietnam episode you will understand. So Vietnam it was. But true to Colin-style holiday planning we still ended up "Seeing what happened" on most of our trip. When we left South Africa two days after our wedding we had our flights booked and 6 nights in a hotel in the middle of the trip, I had insisted on booking the first two nights of the holiday as well because I have been to the East before and I know how hectic those cities can be when you arrive and I didn't want to spend the first night of our Honeymoon walking the streets of Ho Chi Minh looking for somewhere to stay.



It was a very different experience to what I'm used to but I embraced it and we had an absolutely amazing holiday that I will try share with you over the next few weeks.






These are just a taste of the amazing things we saw and did while we were there so I hope you will look forward to reliving the journey with me.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...